Renew your driving licence
Renew your driving licence online with DVLA if you have a valid UK passport.
You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends.
What you need
To renew online, you need:
- a valid UK passport
- to be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different service in Northern Ireland
- to pay £14 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)
- addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
- your current driving licence (if you do not have your licence you must say why in your application)
- your National Insurance number (if you know it)
- to not be disqualified from driving
How long it takes
Your driving licence should arrive within a week if you apply online.
Your new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved, not from the expiry date of your current licence.
DVLA will send you a confirmation email once you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.
Apply at a Post Office
You’ll get a reminder letter in the post. Take it to a Post Office that deals with DVLA photocard licence renewal.
You also need to take:
- your photocard licence if you have it
- the £21.50 fee
If you do not have a reminder letter, you’ll need your photocard licence to apply at the Post Office.
Apply by post
You need to include these things with your completed forms:
- a recent passport type photo (do not sign the back of the photo)
- your current photocard licence, if you have it
- a cheque or postal order for £17, payable to DVLA (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over)
You also need to include identity documents if you’ve changed your name.
After you apply at a Post Office or by post
Your driving licence should arrive within 3 weeks. It might take longer if your medical or personal details need to be checked.
You can continue driving while you wait for your new licence to arrive.